Wednesday, August 21, 2019

Reading Notes: Week 2 Anthology

Hello everyone, below are my reading notes for Myth-Folklore Anthology.  There were two specific stories that stuck out to me from the readings this week.

Story 1: The Tiger, The Brahman, and the JackalStory source: Indian Fairy Tales by Joseph Jacobs with illustrations by John D. Batten (1912).

Intro: The first thing that caught my attention about this story was the amount of dialogue. The tiger and the Brahman exchange a few words at the beginning of the story, and I feel as though this sets up a very good introduction; this would be an idea I could use for my story.  

Also, while the Brahman goes around asking for advice, there are even more moments of personification. I think I could use personification in my story such as with the use of wedding rings or something. The story also uses similes. 

Favorite Character. The Jackal was my favorite character because of his wit. The Jackal is the trickster in the story, he reminded me of the scarecrow from Wizard of Oz at first because he was not comprehending anything; then, I realized that was his plan the whole time in order to trick the tiger into going back into the cage. 

More Dialogue: This story uses a lot of dialogue like I said earlier, and I think it makes the story easier to follow along with and more real. It's easier to imagine people actually speaking to each other rather than just some he said she said here and there. I think I would want to have a Jackal in my story, but a gender switch. I think I could have her be the evil step mom, similar to the story of Cinderella, just an idea!



Story 2: Beauty and the Basilisk. Story source: The Key of Gold by Josef Baudis (1922).

Intro: The beginning of the story starts out similar to all the other versions, which I like. It was nice to see the sudden change at the end where the person who gets mad at the mom was a Basilisk, and how he came to be a beautiful youth. The writer did a great job of starting with a familiar intro, and then leading into his own version of the story in order to make it his own.

Story Setting: The main thing that stuck out to me about this story was all of the descriptions. The writer did an excellent job of describing the setting, especially when discussing the large garden full of roses. The author described it using personification as well, just like the story above used personification. I think this is something I will want to use in my story.  

Mother Character: The mother had a weakness of taking the easy way out; I felt bad for the daughter who only asked for three roses and her mother forgot that, the simplest of all the requests I am sure.  

The Daughter: Mary, the daughter who wanted the roses, was a very mature character: calm, go-with-the-flow, slow to anger. Another thing I really liked was the arrival part of the beautiful youth; I at first didn't understand why she had to nurse the Basilisk three hours a day, but, she did it anyways because she was asked to. 

PLOT TWIST: It all made sense when he said she delivered him, so now they must get married and own the castle together. That is something I want to put in my story, a big plot twist at the end that turns out to be a happy ending for the couple or the underdog.


(Red Rose; Photo from Wikipedia Commons)

No comments:

Post a Comment