Tuesday, August 27, 2019

Feedback Strategies


Feedback is a good thing!!


(Thumbs Up; Image from Pixabay)


As a whole, I saw the title of this article and instantly wanted it to be one of the ones I looked at because of the positive title; the title drew me in and had me wanting to know more about how a mirror could be used to symbolize the structure of feedback. There were two main points that stuck out to me in this article: focus on what the reader is doing (not what is missing), and take yourself out of the feedback.  The first one about focusing on what the reader is doing is so important because I feel like we can all get caught up throwing out all the negative things that are missing or need to be added and that prevents us from seeing the bigger picture.  Secondly, I am guilty of not taking myself out of the feedback. I often find myself saying "I like how you..." or "I enjoyed this part...", and I now understand why that is not beneficial feedback because it takes the focus off of the story and the writer and instead, inserts me into the focus of the conversation.


I chose to discuss this article because of all the bar graphs included; I found them to be very shocking for what I would've expected. I had the kind of manager who, as discussed in the article, was "quick to criticize and slow to praise".  This caused a lot of problems, but I now can understand the thoughts coming from my manager; she was so focused on the negative thoughts that she forgot the good things she wanted to say, which led me to view her in a negative light. I feel as though this article helps us change perspective that while we do want to give constructive criticism, we also want it to be positive and not discouraging.

For a quick example here, I used to be the assistant manager for a store I worked at.  My manager avoided conflict at all costs; in exchange for the avoidance, she had me deal with the difficult situations.  I was frustrated that the duties were getting passed on to me to relay negative feedback and comments because of her avoidance, but, I then realized I began to act the same way.  I began to just tell the feedback to one of my close co-workers and ask him to spread the news.  I twas a poor strategy, but I feel like in our day in age we run away from giving criticism just as much as we run away from getting criticism. 

No comments:

Post a Comment