Monday, September 16, 2019

Week 6 Lab: Ted Talk Videos on Language


(Grammar; Photo from Pixabay)

My favorite video from this series was the video "Where do New Words Come From", by Marcel Danesi.  I found this so interesting because I was shocked when it said there are currently 170,000 words used in the English language. I mean, that is so many words; I currently am studying for the GRE and have been doing vocabulary, but hearing that statistic made me realize there is no way I will be able to know all of the words!! Also, it was cool to see that new words are created sometimes to fill gaps in our language that we don't yet have. One of the ways to derive these words is to borrow form another language, the video said, and it also mentioned that half of the English language is derived from other languages or cultures.  I think the making of new words is intriguing because who knows what new ideas or inventions those words will give rise to?? Such a cool thought!!

No comments:

Post a Comment